Featured post

Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Lifetime is Too Long



Sixteen is the age to write poetry
You’re fearless and alone at night
You know your enemy

When you’re sixty there have been
Too many lovers
Too much living, too many scenes

Your words and thoughts finessed
By tenderness
By experience, by bitterness

A lifetime is too long to tell one story
There’s time enough to re engage
To reach an end as satisfactory

To step out on another stage
Blinking in some other glory
Shrug off the puzzlement and rage

Those other things fade with the night
Gain true perspective
Its going to be all right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know you posted this in August, but I just now found it and read it. Wanted to let you know that I really identified with this and it touched me as profound truth. Keep up the good work! I hope you're enjoying your poetry weekend.
Pam